Gitxaała territories stretch from the Nass River to Aristazabel Island, on the north coast of what
is now British Columbia. The Gitxaała , also known as Git Lax M’oon, people of the saltwater are
one of the most ancient societies on the coast. The village of Lach Klan (Kitkatla, BC) has been
continuously inhabited since time immemorial.
Gitxaała hereditary leaders from the four clans, Gisputwada, Ganhada, Lax’sgiik and Laxgibuu,
manage and protect their territories and resources according to their ayaawx, traditional laws.
Gitxaała harvesters use almost 100 different marine and terrestrial resources to feed their
community. Gitxaała citizens, currently numbering 2094, wherever they reside, celebrate
their history, practice their traditions, respect their laws, and cherish their lands, waters and
The On Call – Financial Assistant supports the day-to-day transactions of the accounting and
finance department, including maintaining financial records. Reporting directly to the Chief
Financial Officer (CFO), the Casual On Call – Finance Assistant is responsible for updating
financial spreadsheets, processing payments and other financial transactions as well as creating
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES and DUTIES
- Perform financial transactions and processing such as journal entries, accounts payable, and
- Reconcile data to ensure accuracy.
- Review and understand financial statements and reports.
- Perform analysis to identify variances and conduct routine problem-solving to propose potential
- Process data entry and forms including recording and retrieving financial entries, reconciling
account balances, preparing invoices and receipts, running reports, and performing other routine
- Support administrative tasks of the Finance Department, when necessary.
Relationship Building and Teamwork
- Establish and foster strong working relationships within and external to the Nation.
- Maintain composure and perspective in difficult situations and in managing conflict.
Client Service and Engagement
- Handle inquiries and requests for information in a respectful, professional and client-centric
- Maintain confidentiality of all data.
- Must follow Nations Code of Ethics.
- Must confirm the importance of understanding Confidentiality.
Perform other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as
assigned by Director.
- Strong knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles.
- Knowledge of privacy legislation and policies.
- Knowledge of accounting software/system including Sage and AIS.
- Attention to detail.
- Prepare various materials and reports using MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
- Understand and promote Gitxaala Nation’s culture, language and values including the Sm’algyax
- Demonstrate an understanding of and ability to integrate First Nations cultural principles and
protocols into service delivery.
- Possess ability to work with vulnerable persons.
While awe recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from people of
all backgrounds in accordance with section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code; candidates of Indigenous background are encouraged to self-identify on their application.
When applying for this position, please forward cover letter, resume and references to the Director
of the Department and cc the Human Resources Manager.
Open until position is filled.
Maureen Tommy, CAO | EMAIL: email@example.com
Monica Michell, CIHRP Human Resources Manager | EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, please note that only those short listed for an
interview will be contacted.