October 18, 2022
Deadline: Until a suitable candidate is found
Gitxaała Nation has an opening for the position of Band Social Development Worker (BSDW). The BSDW will act on behalf of the Nation as the Administering Authority responsible for the Social Development Programs and Services.
Reporting to the Nation Administrator, the incumbent will maintain communication with various departments within the Nation and government agencies for the purpose of providing information and assistance through various programs. The BSDW plays an important role in assisting clients to become financially independent through continued employment and provides participants with information and support on services that may be available to them such as childcare, training, employment opportunities and services for people with disabilities.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
A. Income Assistance
- Oversee the Income Assistance program as prescribed by ISC
- Supervise the IA Worker
B. Social Development
The BSDW opens the door to opportunities for the unemployed, low-income families and those with disabilities so that they have access to social and employment programs designed to assist with the daily living activities and the promotion of employability. The SDW assists in the development of community resources, capacities, and services designed to enhance the social functioning of individuals and the Gitxaala community as a whole:
- Deliver a Family Violence Program to the community, referring families and individuals to support services
- Deliver a National Child Benefit Program to the community
- Deliver an Adult-In-Home Care Program
- Collaborate with Nation Departments and/or External Agencies such as Housing, MCFD, NIFCS, etc. to help develop initiatives pertaining to:
- Child & Family Services
- Take an Active Role in determining the Nation’s readiness with the Bill C-
- 92 Readiness Initiative
- Revitalize the “Reclaiming our Children”
- Homelessness & Underhoused Strategy
- Outreach Worker
- Works with clients to understand their desires, needs and limitations
- Participates on committees, teams and task groups working towards the alleviation or resolution of social problems.
- Interacts with clients and staff in an empathetic and respectful manner at all times
- Provides information to Gitxaala citizens as required
- Is able to communicate with clients who may have comprehension difficulties to ensure
- that the information being communicated is understood
- Works with the Gitxaala Team, particularly the Health, Education, and Finance staff to ensure that there is coordination between programs and opportunities, and that funds are well spent
- Ensures that resources are being well-spent in a fair and transparent manner
- Provides clients with the best possible service.
University degree in a discipline related to Social Work. While stated preference is for a university degree, Gitxaala Nation will consider candidates who demonstrate equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- 3 – 5 years’ experience at the management level in addition to formalized training
- Experience working with Indigenous organizations
- Knowledge and experience with Social Work initiatives
- Proven ability to liaise effectively with government, private and public sector, and community agencies to establish, nurture and maintain relationships
- Ongoing hands on support to Staff
- Experience in budget development and management
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Possess effective time management skills; ability to multi task; prioritize; strong organizational skills and effective decision-making abilities
- Good working knowledge of: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Outlook and database software
- Other duties as required.
Applications/Resume with references can be forwarded to:
Norman Ridley, Finance Assistant: email@example.com