Position: Two (2) Educational Assistant Special Education Teachers (all grades)
Reports to: Superintendant
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assisting in occupational, physio and speech therapy under the direction of trained therapists.
- Providing one-on-one support for special needs student/s.
- Supporting student/s in class where they need help.
- Assisting with specific students’ needs.
- Assisting students develop social, life and learning skills.
- Helping to prepare the classroom for lessons.
- Supervising students in the classroom, playground, gym or outdoor activities.
- Assisting with first aid procedures and administering medication where necessary.
- Assisting with preparing classroom materials.
- Ordering supplies where needed.
- Assisting with technology where possible.
- Helping students to learn and participate in activities under the direction of the teacher.
- Providing feedback to the teacher about students’ successes and challenges.
- Working as a collaborative teaching team with the teacher to develop programs to help students succeed.
- Collaborating with teachers to meet the various needs of students.
- Taking on the role of Teacher-On-Call (if required), another staff member’s reading or math group or roles and responsibilities for the day.
- Actively participate in training/professional development.
- Active participant in all school activities and events.
- Participating in daily 8 am staff meetings.
- Leading or supporting 1 extra-curricular activity each week.
- Other duties assigned by the teacher and principal that are consistent with the above duties.
Qualities and Qualifications:
- A minimum of High School Graduate or evidence of enrolment of upgrading for Grade 12.
- Commitment to pursuing formal certification.
- Strong communication skills.
- Able to follow a detailed schedule.
- Must be reliable, confidential, supportive and a positive role model in the community.
- Knowledgeable of Read Well, Corrective Reading, Reading Mastery and Jump Math an asset but not required – will receive training.
- Must follow the policy and procedures as set out by the Gitxaala Nation.
We provide Two-year contracts, health benefits, pension, a $3,000 moving allowance, a retention bonus after the second year $3,000 and a competitive salary (between $60,000 and $110,000 depending on qualifications and experience).
For additional information or to submit an application for this position, send your cover letter, resume, three references and documentation of your credentials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Lach Klan School
The Gitxaała, also known as Git Lax Mo’on, people of the salt water, is one of the most ancient societies on the Northwest coast. The community has a population of approximately 300 people. Health and wellness guide a variety of community initiatives, often including Lach Klan School. Our school includes preschool to grade 12 and currently serves 75 students. We are located in Kitkatla, about 45km southwest of Prince Rupert on Lax Klan (Dolphin Island) and accessible by boat and seaplane. The area is home to a wide variety of animal and sea life, a multitude of islands, and breathtaking views. This area is abundant with opportunities for an outdoor enthusiast.